10/02/2014

DEAN MONOGENIS

 

beatpie : Dean Monogenis

.   .   .

Have you seen Dean Monogenis’ paintings?



I am completely amazed by his dreamy, architectural, sci-fi landscapes. I think I just found my newest art crush. These are so beautiful, so captivating and so interesting to look at and analyse, especially if you read the artist statement.


.   .   .

 

“Besides their practical usage, I had never regarded buildings or architecture as more than symbols or monuments to someone else's memory or beliefs. This changed after witnessing the fall of the world trade center. At the time I lived in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, where the pace of this development felt like an invasion. I found it simultaneously engaging and frightening. There was a strong sense that these decisions were made out of expedience and practical necessity with little oversight.

After overcoming my initial shock, I began to distance myself and consider the situation aesthetically. I took notice of the simplicity and planer forms of the skeletal structures as they ascended upward. Brightly colored building materials like netting and scaffolding, became interesting to me. I thought if there was a way to distill the temporary and all its ephemera, isolating key pieces into my work, then I would be able to elevate the visual indicators that speak to this period of transformation.”



beatpie : Dean Monogenis

beatpie : Dean Monogenis

beatpie : Dean Monogenis

beatpie : Dean Monogenis

beatpie : Dean Monogenis

beatpie : Dean Monogenis

beatpie : Dean Monogenis

beatpie : Dean Monogenis

beatpie : Dean Monogenis

beatpie : Dean Monogenis

beatpie : Dean Monogenis

beatpie : Dean Monogenis

beatpie : Dean Monogenis

beatpie : Dean Monogenis


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...