4/02/2015

PETULIA

 

beatpie: PETULIA

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

This film broke my heart.


VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

 

This stunning, underappreciated, extraordinary film devastated me. But I adored every, single, gorgeous frame of it. I’m unable to find the right words to describe it, other than: beautiful, different and world-shattering experience.

 


beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA



As I’m writing this, I discovered magnificent review of Petulia by Roger Ebert. If you want to read the whole thing, I encourage you to do it, here. Meanwhile, I’m going to post just few of his lines that perfectly capture what I’m feeling at the moment:

“Richard Lester's Petulia made me desperately unhappy, and yet, I am unable to find a single thing wrong with it. I suppose that is high praise. It is the coldest, cruelest film I can remember, and one of the most intellectual.

Most films come with emotions wrapped inside. We pick a movie according to the emotion we desire: a musical to be happy, a Western to be thrilled. Petulia doesn't work this way. It provides no built-in emotional response at all. Instead, it glides perfectly across the screen, and the idea is for audience, the audience to provide its own emotion by responding to it.”


 

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

 

The sensational, weaved kind of editing disoriented me at first. But, as the film progressed, it was like witnessing the very opening of a strange cocoon. There  was that big commotion at the beginning that resulted with a butterfly at the end. A very sad and unhappy one.


But, it started so light, almost like a comedy.


 

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA



The way this film dances around with angles, perspectives and point of views… is simply magical.

 

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

 

Visually, there is no match. Every scene is one perfectly rounded, flawless pearl… splendidly composed and thought through.

 

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

 

Flash forwards and backwards, masterfully intertwined with “the present”. Most of the time they last no longer than a second, almost like a glitch… a flicker of a memory.



beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

 

Although Julie Christie was remarkable in this movie, and I loved her fantastic portrayal of Petulia, unhappily married socialite, I think that Scott was the real core of it, absolutely brilliant.  

 

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

 

This scene is one of my favorites...

 

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

 

Beautiful shots of San Francisco, all around…

(plus, there are Grateful Dead and Janis Joplin live performances, if you’re into that)

 

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

beatpie: PETULIA

.   .   .

{ imdb / netflix / wiki }

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...